Thursday, November 11, 2010

Day 74 - Cowtown, USA.......Half way across






Thursday, November 11, 2010

How can you not like a place with the nickname of "Cowtown", a major street paved with red brick,
cows herded by cowboys down the street at mid-day each day, and a Will Rogers Auditorium with a Paint horse show? This is my first big city, and today was like working my way through a corn maze. Lots of walking, but maybe not so much distance covered. But more on that later. My goal today was to reach the halfway point of the trip, and find David Cassteven's house before dark.

Last night was a really good one......nice place to camp, and boy did I sleep well. Up at 6, packed everything, and then headed to the Cowtown RV Park to use their bath facilities. (Thanks to the folks there for allowing me to use them.) On the road around 730 or so. I'm traveling the I-30 service road for part of the trip, not sure about the remainder. It was cloudy today, but never rained where I was.

It wasn't long until the Star-Telegram photographer called me and said he was on the way. He's doing some photos for the newspaper article which will be in the paper on Saturday. We'll link it on the blog for those not in the DFW area. Soon after that David called and he's coming out also. We took the pictures, and David confirmed the invite to stay at his place tonight. The photographer who did the pictures, Ron, told me he wants to walk the Appalachian Trail someday, but has recently had knee surgery, so it'll have to wait a while. I told him I live within shouting distance of the trail, so let me know if he comes east.

They left and I continued walking. Ron came back and told me the service road runs out just up the road and I needed to use Camp Bowie Road instead. That differs from my previous info, but it's the latest, so I'll go with it. For any of you folks in and around Roanoke, Camp Bowie is much like Williamson Road.....wall-to-wall small businesses for many miles. I stopped in a Kroger's to get a new map (lost the old one), a convenience store for breakfast, and a Verizon store to get one of those gadgets that allows the computer to get Internet via the cell phone signals. It's hard to make good time through the city......too many interruptions. But, I kept moving.

Around mid-afternoon David called to coordinate me getting to his house. I still had some miles to go, but should get there about when he's getting off from work. I stopped by a State Farm office to send a message to Michelle, and met a nice woman named Margaret Burke. We talked a while about the walk, and I continued on. Four F16 fighters flew pretty low over where I was, not sure where they took off from, but somewhere nearby. I am almost sure I saw a B1-B bomber fly over a few days back. It has such a distinct silhouette couldn't have been anything else. Kevin: do we still use those planes?

Before long I turned on University Dr, and soon came to the Will Rogers Center, which has an upcoming Paint Horse show. Then not too much farther crossed the Trinity River, and not far after that came to Texas Cristian University, home of the Horned Frogs......which currently are one of the top college football teams in the nation. Before long David arrives and I follow him to his house. His wife Susie soon arrived home from work and we went out to dinner at a place named Charleston's Restaurant. I opted for the catfish dinner with all the trimmings, and pink lemonade. (have to cut back on those soft drinks.) After dinner we went for ice cream, and then back home.

We talked a while, Susie made some cookies for my trip tomorrow, we looked over the blog, and then to bed. Big day tomorrow, continue to work my way through this maze called DFW. Some time tomorrow I'll walk past the new Cowboy's stadium......do I have to bow to Jerry Jones? Then onward toward Dallas. Wayne is coming in on Saturday, so we'll do some stuff.....looking forward to that.

22 comments:

  1. Do you think you will finish in less than 7 months, which was your original estimate? You have reached halfway in 2 1/2 months, so it seems you are well ahead of schedule. Or did you expect all along that the 2nd half would be slower?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad -

    Great job on making it halfway! Take some pictures of Cowboy Stadium (home of the #1 Draft Pick in 2011!). If you need a walking partner for the next few days - Wade probably has some free time to ponder his future. Take Care - if you need anything Michelle is only a phone call away:)

    (BTW: Liked the story on the muscadines - I think about that often also - picking those for mamaw in the woods behind her house - funny how those little things stay with you)

    Be Careful!
    Jeff, Michelle, Ragan & Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey Robert,
    I have revised the date to mid-to-late February, around 6 months. Just making better time than anticipated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ray Hubbard, Ft Worth TexasNovember 12, 2010 at 11:18 PM

    Enjoyed reading about your travels. Sounds awesome. I will say a prayer for your safe travel and best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on making it half-way! Remember, the second half is all 'downhill'...

    I remember our trip to Dallas/Ft Worth when we were young. Possibly you've not been there since?

    all the best,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Read the Star-Telegram article today! I'm glad you had a good Fort Worth experience. By the way, those planes you heard were from the Naval Air Station Joint Reserve base in Fort Worth. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving reading about your trip. If you walk past Cowboy Stadium keep walking down Randol Mill to the Rangers Ballpark in Arlington where the AL champs live.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jeff,

    I read about your journey this morning in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. What a great adventure!

    Did you see Rangers Ballpark in Arlington, home of the 2010 American League Champion Texas Rangers?

    I've sent an email to a friend in Longview to be on the lookout as you pass through their part of Texas.

    Best wishes on the remainder of your journey.

    Regards,
    Joe Lenz
    Arlington, TX

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on reaching the halfway point of your journey! We're glad to have you in North Texas and hope that you enjoy the rest of your time here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I admire you for following thru with a long time dream. Be safe. I hope you write a book after the trip of things you might have forgotten along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Jeff - way to go - I read the Jenkins books too several back and wanted to do what you are doing - but you are doing it and I am still dreaming about it.

    Bill Justice
    Hurst, TX

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Jeff!!! Your amazing and so is your wife!!! Good luck on your journeys!!! Fort Worth will be praying for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jeff,

    This is fantastic what you are doing! I'm 35 and only hope that one day I can do something this adventurous. I hope you enjoyed DFW and specifically my town of Arlington.

    Take care and God's speed.

    Greg
    Arlington,TX

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mr. Jeff,
    I am SO amazed by your endeavor! I wish I could walk 5 miles a day, let alone the 20-25 you walk. Congrats! I too saw the article in the Star-Telegram today. I wish I had known you would be so close to me and my area. DFW is up and coming and I've been in the Fort Worth area for about 24 years now. Be ready to be amazed with the Cowboys Stadium. Too bad they can't win in the $1.2 billion Arlington, TX fixture. It is very beautiful though. Maybe I'll see you as I travel today. You be careful and I wish you a safe and wonderful trip the rest of the way back home.
    Good luck! You're such an inspiration!

    Shalonda
    Haltom City, TX (Fort Worth suburb)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations Jeff on making it this far...I read the Star Telegram article PLUS almost your entire Blog this morning. (I WILL be ordering a tshirt, too.) Nice to see you doing what the rest of us only dream of...

    Mike
    Hubbard, Texas

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh wow. I live about 5-10 minutes away(driving) from the cowboys/rangers stadiums. I hope you enjoy the rest Texas as well as the rest of your trip.

    George
    Arlington, TX

    ReplyDelete
  17. I read about you in today's "Star-Telegram". I wish you well on your journey and look forward to reading your daily posts.

    Jamie
    Bedford, TX

    ReplyDelete
  18. HI Jeff ! I was sitting in traffic and saw you walking on East Rosedale on Friday afternoon. IF I would have known about you and your mission, I would have introduced myself and bought you a steak dinner or a plate of mild mexican food! I'm glad you are following your dream. Stay Safe and GOD BLESS YOU !!

    Christine
    Ft Worth, TX

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome Papaw on the half way mark. And yes for what I know they are still in service.
    kevin

    ReplyDelete
  20. I read your story today in the Star-Telegram and now I have caught up on your trip through your blog. I wished I had known about you before today because I would have come to see you and feed you a meal!!
    Best of luck on the rest of your trip - can't wait to read your daily adventures.
    Maybe someday I can be brave enough to do something like what you are doing!
    Glod Bless,
    Karen Welker
    Arlington, Texas

    ReplyDelete
  21. Welcome to Fort Worth, Jeff! I read about you in today's Star-Telegram and wanted to pass along my best wishes for your endeavor. Please come back and stay longer in the Dallas/Fort Worth area sometime. I've lived here all my life (63 yrs) and in my opinion there's no better spot on God's green earth. I will keep you in my prayers for a continued safe journey.

    Best wishes!
    Ron Turner
    Euless, Texas

    ReplyDelete
  22. Walk on, man. And God bless you and watch over you.

    Dale G.

    Burleson, TX

    ReplyDelete