Monday, January 3, 2011

Day 127 - On Toward Orangeburg






Monday, January 3, 2011

Last evening was the last one inside for a while I imagine, and it was a good one. Of course I stayed up a little too late, but was up and packing the gear around 6. Elizabeth fixed a lunch for me to take, and Dave drove me to the place I left off the previous day. It's hard leaving friends, but the walk must go on. Dave works for a private company, contracted to the Dept. of Energy, at the Savannah River Site. At one time this site produced plutonium for nuclear weapons, but now is primarily used as a storage facility for the plutonium. Elizabeth teaches science in a middle school in Aiken.

Dave and I arrived at the location around 830, and soon I was heading toward Orangeburg. The weather changed last night and it's much colder today.......but clear. I'm still in the are where there are lots of horse ranches and training facilities. The road is nice with a little roll, and traffic is light. Just a nice walk through the country, and reminds me some of the roads in LA and MS. I'm seeing more swampy areas, and have been told that would continue for a while. I paused when I saw the sign for Orangeburg County........maybe I should stay in Aiken County one more day with the Noffsingers. But, I had to keep moving. A car pulled alongside me, and the man and woman inside introduced themselves as Bob and Jean Necessary (unusual last name, but think I've heard it before.) They were passing by and just wanted to make sure I was ok. Bob was one year younger than me, and couldn't believe I was doing this walk. But, he had some physical problems which restricted his activities. They lived in this area, but also have a home in Kings Mtn, NC, and planning to move back there this summer. We talked a while, they wished me luck, and went on their way.

Around noon I was entering the small town of Springfield. I was feeling pretty good about evading those Cooley girls in Aiken, and kept checking behind me to make sure I wasn't leaving a trail they could follow. Just as I turned the corner in Springfield, there they were, waiting for me. They decided to circle around and get ahead of me, and wait until I walked into their trap! Never underestimate the determination of two young girls! It was good to finally meet them and their parents, Kevin and Amy. We went to Mary's Country Kitchen for lunch, and had lots to talk about. Kevin is a Methodist minister in Fort Mill, SC, Amy teaches music and works with the music program at the church. Maggie, a first grader, got a big horse for Christmas (one that stays inside), and Caroline got a Fender electric guitar.....blue and white. Kevin also plays the guitar a little (his description).

I asked Caroline what made her think she could find the walkingman, and her reply, "my daddy said we would find you." They brought me some gifts......a SC ball cap and t-shirt, a sandwich from Subway, a 6 pack of Sundrops, and the girls each made me a picture. I must admit it was worth getting tracked down by these girls. Both Kevin and Amy are from SC, so we discussed my route for the remainder of the state. All too soon they had to get back to Fort Mill, so we took some pictures and said our goodbyes. What a nice family, and how lucky I am to be meeting people like them. I soon was out of Springfield and back in the country side. I passed signs for two swamps......Dean's Swamp, and Rocky Swamp. Will I be able to find dry ground tonight?

I spotted a woman up ahead going to her mailbox, and as I got closer she asked, "are you traveling with that wagon?" I explained about the trip, and we had a nice chat. She introduced herself as Rodell Williams, and she was recovering from a stroke she had about 2 years ago. She told me if I would turn right at Neecses, I would find the towns of Norway, Sweden, Denmark, and Finland........and wouldn't even need a passport. Her son, who lives next door, came over and introduced himself as Jerry Hallman. Jerry works for the state regulatory agency, something to do with trucks on the road (my understanding). We had a nice talk, and he offered some suggestions about walking through Orangeburg. Soon, I headed down the road. Cell service in this area has been spotty this afternoon, unusual for Verizon.

Around 5 I spotted a large field with some of those big, round, hay bales I can get behind for privacy. I decided to camp there, even though it seems to be staying light a little longer and I possibly could walk another half hour or so. But what's the hurry, who knows who I will meet over the next few weeks? I soon had the tent up, with the gear and me inside. It's getting colder, but hopefully nothing extreme. With the later start I didn't do so many miles today, but it was a good day for walking. Maybe I'll just lie here a while and try to figure out just how those girls found me!

About the pictures:
Caroline and Maggie Cooley, and a 6 pack of Sundrops;
Jerry Hallman and his Mother, Rodell Williams, Springfield, SC;
Out West the USA gave the American Indians desert land, in the East, swamps!

3 comments:

  1. No way to avoid two DETERMINED girls! Way to go Cooley girls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your trip continues to interest us. We very surprised of how far you have walked during our Chirstmas break. We can not wait to meet you. We have a lot of questions for you!!
    Woodhill Elementary's Fifth Grade

    ReplyDelete
  3. GOD BLESS YOU. AND I CANT BELIEVE YOU R ALMOST HERE. R U GOING TO STOP BY CHARLOTTE. PLEASE ANSWER THIS QUESTION IN UR NEXT BLOG. PLEASE!!!!!

    ReplyDelete