Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Day 100 - Scott County, MS....Chicken Country




Tuesday, December 7, 2010

100 days, can you believe it? It's gone by so quickly......but not last night! Last night must have been one of the worst of the whole trip....I almost froze. There have been cold nights before now, but maybe the bus somehow made it colder. I assumed some level of insulation in the bus, but maybe the metal made everything colder....or the big open space inside. But I did have electricity, and it was nice for Joe to allow me to stay here, but just didn't work out. My sleeping bag is rated for 20 degrees f, and the inside of my sleeping bag was cold last night, and that has never happened. I was ready to get up when the wake up call came, and packed quickly and headed east. Destination today? Nowhere in particular, just east on Hwy 80.

After the sun rose a little, the day started feeling better. My hands and feet were getting warm, and the bright sun makes everything better. My phone rang, and it was Ms. Gunter from Greenfield Elementary school in Daleville, and her students wanted to talk to me "on the road." We had a great conversation, and they asked lots of questions. It really lifted my spirits after a not-so-good night, and the day was looking better. After several hours of walking I came to the town of Morton. I asked around about a place for breakfast, and was told the local Chevron serves breakfast. One of the guys I talked to used to do some racing (auto) in the area, and told me to visit his website. It's pretty interesting if you like racing. I should have asked his name, but told him I am originally from near Charlotte where there is lots of racing. Then I headed off for the Chevron.

There were several locals sitting around, and I ordered breakfast and went over to find a table. These Mississippians probably think I am some Yankee Liberal Radical Hippie walking through their state, but when they find I can talk "southern" with the best of them, they start warming up a little. We had a great time talking about the walk, and had a great argument about distances between towns. They also told me about the area, and the reputation for raising and processing chickens. There is a big processing plant right in town, and I guess they get accustomed to the smell.....not very pleasant. But, it provides jobs in the area, and a lot of the population work in some part of the industry. I had to move on, and they wished me luck for the rest of the walk.

It was turning into a great day......sunny and high in the upper 40's.......good walking weather. I passed several large chicken related plants, doing everything from processing food to hatcheries. A car pulled alongside and stopped, and a woman introduced herself as Sandra Sample, asked where I was headed. "NC, is this the right direction?" She said yes, but it's a long walk......that's what they always say. We talked about the walk, and she introduced her son and fiance, said she'd pray for my safety, and then they went on. Around 130 or so, I came to the town of Forest. It was time for lunch, so I asked around for local diners or cafes. A woman told me they all quit serving at 1pm, so the only option was McDonald's, Burger King, or Sonic. McDonald's was the closest, so that's where I headed.....plus it has wi-fi.

The first thing I do when I go into an eating place is look around under the tables or booths (I try to be a little discreet) to see if there are electrical outlets. I know people in the places must think this is strange, but it's an opportunity to charge things while I'm eating. This McDonald's happened to have one table near an outlet, so that's where I sat during lunch. Used their wi-fi, and charged some batteries. A young guy approached me and asked if I remembered him from yesterday. He had stopped along the road and asked about my trip. I did remember him, and said, "you're the guy in the nice Ford pickup." And he was.......brag on a guy's pickup and make a friend!

As I was leaving, 4 guys followed me outside and wanted to find out about the walk. We talked for a while and then I headed out. Still another hour or more of light, so I can get several more miles. A car slowed going by, and a woman that I had seen yesterday said hello. I stopped in a State Farm Agency and asked if they would send Michelle an email telling her where I am. Michelle, my daughter-in-law, lives and works in Forest, VA, and here I am in Forest, MS. Soon I was heading out of town, east toward Lake, MS.....about 9 miles away. I passed a beautiful, big, colonial house, along the way......the sun was getting lower, and the light on the house and small lake was perfect. By the way.....both Morton and Forest are nice, small towns. Hwy 80 runs through both, so I was able to see the downtown area.

I soon came to a large field, behind and beside a business, and decided to camp there. No one was at the business, so I went to a far back corner near the woods and put up the tent, and soon was inside getting warm. I think tonight will be better than last.

About the pictures:
The top one is the bus I almost froze in;
The bottom one is what happens if you don't get much mail......notice the egg.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, 100 days and look how far you have come! We are all cheering for your dad, but looking forward to having you back home. Stay safe and warm! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Walkingman is doing a little time travel as well I see. A couple of days back his post was dated "November" 5,2010. Is that so you can pick-up some extra time along the way? Love reading the blogs, Jeff. How's the cart holding? Any tires worn out yet?

    JW

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, Jeff, you got some Redneck in Ya ! They love them pickups and pork chops (grinning). I told myself you would find " THAT McDonalds" as you came through Forest. I find it real handy for pit stops and a sandwich when I go to Philadelphia. From home, a quick pause at the Vicksburg Hospitality Center, then Forest is spread just right for us.

    When I saw your yesterday's post, I emailed Bill, in Ft Worth. You said you were invited to stay in a bus for the night so I shared my experience at a deer hunting camp in a BUS . Had you read my email ,to him, first, you would have stayed in your tent. So sorry I couldn't give you a warning but your comments about the cold metal was EXACTLY CORRECT ! I don't believe I slept a wink, being so cold !

    You are definitely in chicken country and Mississippi raises the very best Grain Fed Catfish. Hope you try them before getting out of state.
    Bless you,
    Mick

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeff,
    You may need to check on a new sleeping bag for the rest of the trip ... Low in Mount Holly, NC last night was 14 degrees F. Keep safe and warm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to hear about the chicken and catfish in Mississippi! Personally, I would go for the grain fed catfish. Have been there before but don't recall eating catfish.

    Praying for you to have many warm nights...I don't care for cold weather.

    Be safe and know that I'm enjoying your blog!
    Linda (from Houston)

    ReplyDelete