Friday, December 10, 2010

Day 103 - West of Meridian To Kewanee




Friday, December 10, 2010




So how cold as last night in the tent? Pretty cold, but not unbearable. The sleeping bag and blanket kept me warm, so I was pleased with that. Except for the bus episode, I've been fine at night. My campsite was right beside I-20, but that noise doesn't bother me......in fact, keeps me company. Plus I was only a couple hundred yards from the truck stop. I was up early, before my wake up call, and at the truck stop for breakfast by 630. I did a little Google map stuff to plan the day before setting out. My goal today is to get to the intersection of Hwy 80 and I-20 at Kewanee. There's a truck stop nearby, and that's always good. I could probably make Cuba, AL, if I pushed it, but no need to do that. Enjoy my last full day in MS. I started walking around 745.

Within a couple hundred yards of the truck stop is a large prison. You'd never know it at first glance. The big sign out front has GEO in big letters, and a "Hiring" sign is also out front. I was told the prison is privately operated, and leased to the the state. It's only 3-4 miles to Meridian, so that didn't take long. Along the way I passed a creek, and noticed the water wasn't flowing very well.......and then saw why. A beaver dam had almost blocked it completely. Those beavers are quite industrious little creatures, but can be pests in some situations. Soon I was entering Meridian.

Along the route through the city, I spotted a State Farm Agency, and stopped in to have an email sent to my daughter-in-law. I met two nice ladies.....Margaret and Betty. We talked about the walk for a while, and Margaret sent the email. The name on the agency is Dave Holloway Agency, and if that last name sounds familiar, it's because he's the father of the young girl who disappeared in Aruba some years back. Quite a coincidence I stopped at this agency. I headed out and meandered my way through Meridian. It's really an attractive town, and the downtown area seems clean and well maintained. A niece once lived here, and I never got the impression it was so nice......but it is. I soon was leaving out of the city, and back on Hwy 80 heading east.

The next community along the way is Russell, and in a couple of hours I was entering the corp. limits. I spotted a guy doing something that any good southerner should know about......picking greens. I stopped, introduced myself, and asked if I could take his picture. He introduced himself as Eugene Collins, and we talked a while. I have vivid memories of my grandmother picking and cooking greens. You don't pick a gallon, or a quart, or anything like that.......you pick a mess of greens. Eugene and I talked a while, and I headed on down the road.

Within a mile or so I came to a store and decided to stop for lunch. I placed my order and went to get something to drink. Looking through the selection, I spotted a familiar green bottle that I haven't seen since Ft Worth, TX........Sundrop cola. I got one, took my order to the counter to pay, and the woman running the store told me she'd buy my lunch. She introduced herself as Susan Williams, the owner of the store. She, her daughter Shannon, and another woman named Darnell, work in the store. We talked about the trip, and just general conversation. Shannon said she would never sleep in a tent in the outdoors, but then thought about it a little, and decided never was maybe a stretch. I bought about all the Sundrops they had in the cooler, and went on my way. Really nice people, and they said they will follow the walk on the blog.

Today was a beautiful day......sunny and warm. Except for the narrow road, a great day for walking. The next small community along the way was Toomsuba. It has a store, and I stopped in there for some ice (forgot to get it in Russell). Toomsuba also has a beautiful, old, Presbyterian Church......established in 1836. I still had a couple of hours to reach my destination, so headed out. Traffic was light, and the road was rolling, but not badly. Around 430 I reached the intersection of Hwy 80 and I-20 in Kewanee. I looked around for a camping site, and then walked to the truck stop to see what accommodations were there. Not a lot......no outlets under the tables, or anywhere else in the store. It's a small place, so I just left, and walked back a hundred yards or so, and found a good spot. It was getting dark as I put up the tent, but soon I, along with the gear, was inside. It's unusually warm this evening, hopefully that's not a sign of rain on the way. I-20 is just next door, and an occasional train passes nearby.......my companions since east Texas.

Today is my last full day in MS.......I'm only a mile of so from the Alabama state line, and several miles from Cuba, AL. Seems I just got here. Tomorrow a new state to explore.

About the pictures:
That's 3 of the nicest things in Russell, MS......Susan, Shannon, and Sundrop.
Eugene Collins picking a mess of greens.

4 comments:

  1. Had a good day , Jeff. looks like Google put you about 24 miles today. Your altitude varied barely 30 ft so still pretty flat on to Cuba.
    We do WELL remember the Holloways and our hearts are still with those folks. Justice will come..
    Hang in there Bro !
    Mick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jeff, Have been checking you out every day.. Your walk is drawing close to ending, better slow down....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Serendipity strikes! Take a look at this blog .... bluemoonriver.blogspot.com ... and see homage to the Sun Drop Cola. I'd never heard of it (Sun Drop) before, yet here it is on two of the blogs I follow in as many days. Funny how things happen.

    I'm sharing your walk story with everyone I know. I think I'm the only Wachovia person that didn't know about it much earlier. Oh well. I'm still inspired! Loved the "mess of greens" reference. Have fun in Alabama.

    Keep walking!

    Gale

    ReplyDelete
  4. I jotted down your blog site when I read about you in the Fort Worth Star Telegram and did not think to check on you until today! I wish I would have been able to follow you from the beginning. I can't imagine embarking on such an adventure, I envy your courage and endurance on this task! I will pray for your safety.

    ReplyDelete