Thursday, December 23, 2010

Day 116 - To Roberta or Bust!







Thursday, December 23, 2010
When I went to bed last evening, it was warm and comfortable. Then the wind started blowing, and the air started cooling, and by morning it was cold.....a big change from the past few day. And I'm told, the weekend will be even colder. But, I'll worry about that later. I had everything packed and on the road by 730. I decided yesterday to follow Google walking directions from Phenix City to Macon, so that's what I'll continue to do today. The route winds through the countryside to Roberta, then on to Macon. I doubt there will be many, if any, stores along the 28 or so miles to Roberta.

I camped right beside Buckner Road, and that was my first road on the route....for 4.6 miles. It was winding, and rolling, and not much scenery. But not much traffic either, so a pleasant walk. I then came to Hwy 208, and turned east for a walk of 13.6 miles. I am so glad I chose this route because hwy 208 is a very historic road. It is also called the Old Federal Road, an important route from Richmond to New Orleans in the early 1800's. The people who live along the road seem to be proud of its history, and many of the old structures have been preserved. It was a beautiful, but very cool walk.

A sheriff's car pulled alongside me and the deputy asked if I was ok. I gave him a card, and we talked for a while. He told me there was a small country store a few miles up the road. I was happy to hear that because I hadn't expected to find anything. I walked a while longer and a truck with a trailer full of wood pulled along side me. The drive introduced himself as Gerald Parker, and his passenger as his grandson, Ander Parker. They had been up the road gathering some firewood that a neighbor gave him. The small community where we met is called Jarrell, and named after a family who has lived here hundreds of years. We talked a while, and Gerald told me the store was just up the road.

After another mile or so, I spotted the store. Walked up on the porch, and there was a sign stating the store hours, and the days it was open. The store is closed two days a week......Sunday, and guess which other day? Yep, Thursday...what a bummer. So, I'm down to a pack or two of Lance crackers and a bag of deer jerky until I find a store. And both the officer and Gerald told me there was nothing else between here and Roberta. Nothing to do except keep on walking. I stopped to rest for about 1/2 hour, and then moved on. The day was warming, and the wind calming down. There are many beautiful country churches along the way, and all appear to be well maintained. I also noticed that the horses are growing their winter coats. I came to the intersection of Hwy 19 and 208, continued through it, and am sure (almost) that I saw a sign saying Roberta was only 11 miles. You know, I think I can do that.

I finally came to the end of Hwy 208, and turned left on Hwy 137 for 4.6 miles. I also saw another sign for Roberta.....11 miles! Did I read the first sign wrong? Just as I turned onto 137, I spotted the old Fickling Mill, a historic location for hundreds of years. I also saw a marker that told Hwy 137 was once called the Wire Road. It also was a nice walk, with many older homes and barns, I also spotted several more armadillos alongside the road! At the end of 137, I turned onto Hwy 128 for the final 6+ miles to Roberta. there was still plenty of light, my legs were cooperating, and the cool temp seemed to give me a little more energy. Plus, when there's a possible burger at the end of the walk, I seem to get inspired.

After 4 miles of the 6, I saw a sign for Hudson's Bar-B-Que.....that sounds good, only 2 miles to go. I saw a couple of guinea hens in a yard.....can't remember when I last saw some of those. At 1 mile to go, think I could smell the bar-b-que. Finally I walked into the city limits of Roberta......28.9 miles from last night's camp site......according to Google.

Sometimes different things determine how the day will turn out......if the store in Jarrell had been open, I would have probably sat around there for a while, eating breakfast and charging the computer. Then would have taken more rest stops during the day, and maybe walked 20 or so miles. But it wasn't, so I decided to try for Roberta. As I came into town, spotted several potential camping spots along the way. But first things first......and I still smell that bar-b-que. I reached the center of town, asked where to find Hudson's, and was told it was closed for the day. But there is a Subway near by, so that'll have to do for tonight. And, they usually have a place where there are electrical outlets to charge things.

So that's where I am now, working on email and the blog....and dreading going back out in the cold. But I'll walk back to one of those places I spotted on the way in, and set up camp. My route quandary from yesterday has turned out ok for now. Tomorrow, on toward Macon.

About the pictures:
Gerald and Ander Parker, woodcutters from Jarrell, GA
Fickling Mill
After a long walk, finally!

A Christmas song for you........

13 comments:

  1. Jeff, Hang in there, B-B-QUE, just 20 miles ahead.
    Wonder if it's Armadillo ? Grin....
    Mick

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been following you for a while.Just a short note to say Merry Christmas mt friend.May all the roads be flat and dry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff, I wish you a very Merry Christmas!!!!!

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeff, I NEVER spent Christmas in Midgeville , Georgia . I hope yours is a BLESSED ONE !!
    Merry Christmas, MICK

    ReplyDelete
  5. We wish you a very Merry Christmas. Christmas Eve will not be the same without you. We will miss your guitar playing and Christmas songs. Stay safe and warm and if you see Santa tonight send him our way. Love - Jeff Jr, Michelle, Ragan and Lauren

    "Have a great walking day"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Jeff! It won't be the same without you on Christmas Eve dad. We love you, Rick, Julie, Abby, Jack and Emma

    ReplyDelete
  7. May visions of sugarplums dance in your tent.

    Merry Christmas Jeff! Keep on walkin'!

    Derek

    ReplyDelete
  8. 'I'll be home for Christmas if only in my dreams.'

    Merry Christmas to you!!

    Amy Rutledge

    ReplyDelete
  9. Praying that you are able to stay somewhere warm tonight! Merry Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. MERRY CHRISTMAS! With this walk you have given yourself quite a gift... and also a great gift to all of us who have 'followed' your adventure. Thank you. Hope you truly enjoy the last few days(weeks??).

    ReplyDelete
  11. My family as well as my mate were being fighting a very good problem this way!
    Currently we all know which i seemed to be right. : )! Thanks
    for the details anyone publish.
    Feel free to surf my website Background Check

    ReplyDelete