Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Day 107- Selma, Al







Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Last night in Jerome's (pronounced Jeremy) house was comfortable and warm. Plus, he's an interesting guy. If you ask his occupation, be ready to listen for a while because it's not such a simple answer. Jerome is a farmer, pilot, catfish farmer, and general handyman. If there's a way to make a little money (honestly), Jerome has probably already done it, or will do it. His first love is flying, it seems, and he would like to expand that part of his life. He does much the same as a crop duster, but fertilizes trees from the air. His father does it full time, and Jerome would like to do it more. He's currently working on his instrument and helicopter certifications.

Surrounding his house are 3 catfish ponds, totalling 20 acres. Jerome owns and maintains the ponds, and leases to a company on an annual basis. Each pond is stocked with about 10,000 small "fish", and in 18 months they become big fish and harvested. Very interesting process, and a very interesting, and nice guy. It never got much over freezing yesterday, and in the teens last night. So, being inside was a blessing for me. The rest of the week is supposed to warm up a little, so it shouldn't be too bad being outside.

I was up at 6, and on the road around 630. Hwy 80 is 4 lane, with a good shoulder for walking, so it should be a good day. Between Demopolis and Selma, approx 50 miles, there's almost nothing in the way of stores or restaurants. There's Uniontown, and a small store at Marion Junction. So, it's just walking and looking around. I want to at least get to Selma today, and maybe beyond if possible......a distance of about 20-22 miles. Today is already warmer than yesterday, but many of the creeks I pass are still frozen, I saw a big, black otter, slip into a creek that had an opening. With that thick coat, the otter won't get cold.

I heard a horn from across the road, and it was Ed Johnson heading to Selma for another load of gravel. I crossed a bridge, and below was a scene that we see in the movies or on TV......a "swampy" looking place, with trees in the water. A large hawk spotted me and flew away, followed by a blue heron. I stopped at the store in Marion Junction, ate a little breakfast (brunch?), talked a while, and headed on. Selma is still 10 miles away, so about 3 hours or so walking time. While I was in the store, Ed Johnson passed by returning from Selma, didn't see me along the road, so called to make sure I was ok. How can anything go wrong with so many people watching out for me?

The walk into Selma was just walking........I arrived on the west side around 230pm. On the way into town, I spotted several road signs with "KM 125, KM 130, etc." along the way. The signs were on each side of the road, but facing each other, not traffic. Is this kilometers, and if so, why? Jerome advised me to not take the bypass, but to stay on business 80 through town....so that's what I did. I had expected to see him before now.....he's coming to Selma today to bring some equipment to be fixed. I stopped at a Subway for lunch, did some computer stuff, and headed out.

A sign near the Subway has Selma still 3 miles away. That's about an hour, and I'm afraid I'll be in the middle of town with no place to camp. So, decided to stay where I am, and pass through town early tomorrow morning. There are a couple ok looking places right around here, and a Hampton Inn where I can use the wi-fi. (They usually don't mind that.) Once it gets a little darker, I'll head to one of those sites, and set up the tent. BTW: I noticed somewhere the average high/low in Montgomery during December is 60/37....that's what I was expecting around here, not 35/17.

About the pictures:
Entering Selma;
A great sign that says it all, hope you can read it;
Greensboro? Did I take a wrong turn somewhere?

6 comments:

  1. Hi Jeff, Did you ask the Catfish Farmer about the Catfish Park, is that where they park ?
    How come they had some English Bloak to make that sign and misspell Center ? This is Alabama !

    Your next 21 miles don't look too good for food stops. Hope you got extra vittles.
    Hang in there, lot's of good people watching out for you.
    Later, Mick

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tractor would make good lawn art. We're having record lows in Jacksonville, too. Who knew? But tonight (Tuesday) is the last frigid night for us for a little while. Hope your weather is reasonable for the next few days and the walking is smooth. Looking forward to the next installment already!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jeff,
    I know this cold weather is tough on you BUT we need it to kill the skiters and other bugs.
    We have had so many warm winters that whole generations of bug families have been chewing our flesh.
    I am really enjoying your adventure and I'm itching to hit the road again. Stay safe.
    Andy in Newton MS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job Jeff! How much longer until you get to north carolina, cause that's where I live!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Morn'n Jeff, Just an added thought this morning. Last evening, our local weatherman said CUBA was forecast in the upper 40's and low 50's. Now he wasn't talking about Cuba, Alabama (grin).
    I wonder if Al Gore noticed this one ?
    Mick

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tressie from TallulahDecember 16, 2010 at 6:15 AM

    Good Morning Jeff. I did not get to meet you when you came through Tallulah, LA. The local paper put a full page of your blog in the paper. He must have been really impressed with you because usually interesting things never make the paper! I read your blog in the paper and decided to find you on the web. I have to tell you that I am hooked! I love reading your perspective on Hwy 80. You know what freedom it must be to just walk...see the country without having a deadline or pressing work. Just to be able to walk, talk, camp, and do what you want. I know it is rough sometimes, but really this is a wonderful thing you are doing. I hope you are safe and have a very Merry Christmas. Just a thought, will you go home for Christmas or spend it alone on the road?

    ReplyDelete