Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Day 114 - Upatoi, GA....who would have thought?







Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Last evening in the Ramada Inn was nice, but I never get to bed on time, and always wake up still tired. Seems I sleep better in the tent, guess because there's nothing else to do. I was up at 6, took advantage of the motel complimentary breakfast, and started packing the gear to get back on the road. I had stuff spread all over the room, trying to get everything dried out......which it did. I wasn't quite sure how to get to the other side of Columbus, GA, so went to the front desk and asked the guy working there if he would print some Google directions. His name was Tim, and he was glad to do it. So, back to the room, get everything together, and head out. Destination today is just start N/E toward Macon, after getting out of Columbus.

As I started walking, I noticed Tim ahead of me, and he and I walked a while together.....a nice young man. He's working at the motel 3rd shift, and wants to start college soon. Eventually our paths parted, and I headed toward Columbus. My primary route for a while was 13th ST, and that how I crossed over the river. From what I saw of Columbus, it's a nice city.....looks clean and modern. Interestingly, because Phenix City and Columbus are so close, and people from each work in the other, Phenix City is on EST....maybe the only AL town to be like that. I worked my way through the city, and a guy came running by me wearing only shorts and his running shoes! And me in coat, sweatshirt, gloves, etc.....one of us is not dressed for the weather. (40 degrees at the time.)

The radio interview was a little late, and I tried to find a quiet place. Finally found a school that was empty for the holidays, so sat there and talked to Wayne Powers for a few minutes. Then headed out toward the countryside. AFLAC, the insurance company, is based in Columbus, and I passed a many story building with their name on it. Pretty soon I was out of town on Macon Road, which eventually merges with Hwy 80. Today was great weather, must have been highs in the 60's at least. I sat down and rested for a while, and the warm sun felt so good, I probably could have slept a while.

I walked a little further, and a woman across the road hollered at me and asked if I needed a coat (I need to work on my image!). I stopped and talked a while, and told her about the walk. Her name was Diane, and she works from home for AFLAC. She was cleaning out some stuff to throw away, and I found a James Patterson book to carry along if I have reading time. Soon Macon Road merged with Hwy 80, and it became 4 lane with a reasonable shoulder to walk on. Traffic was moderate, but not bad. I spotted a survey crew doing some work, and stopped to talk to one of the guys. His name is Phil Ammons, and he was interested in the walk. Said he would like to walk the Appalachian Trail some time. But he just became a father, so that will have to wait a while. He went back to his work, and me back to walking.

I walked a while longer and came to a small place named Upatoi. There is a store there, Rose's Mini Mart, so I stopped in for something to eat. Met Rose, the owner, and Brittani, who works there. The google directions Tim printed for me indicated I should turn right on Upatoi Lane for a couple of miles, and it would merge back with 80. I asked them about it, and they showed me how to get on that road. We talked a while, and Rose even gave me a deal on 2 hot dogs.....buy 1, get 1 free. I took their picture, and headed out. The walk on Upatoi Lane was so nice and relaxing.....quite a change from the traffic on 80. It meandered through the countryside, with maybe 1 or 2 cars passing the whole 2.5 miles. But all too quickly it ended, and I was back on 80.

I walked several more miles, it was getting late, so I started looking for a campsite. Found a place just off the road, near a nice creek, so decided to stay there. Soon had everything inside, including me, and worked a while on email and the blog. It's been a good day, and I am no more than 70 or so miles from Macon.....so will probably be there around Christmas Day. One interesting thing.....I am on the extreme western side of EST, so it gets light later in the morning, and stays light later in the afternoon.....than places farther east. Makes sense, I just never thought about that.

About the pictures:
Phil Ammons, surveyor and new father;
Rose and Brittani, Upatoi Mini Market;
Columbus, GA, from across the river

A Christmas song for you.......

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jeff,
    Great going. Just to inform you, we set a new record high today in Monroe, La. Just 82 degrees ! Dang, please don't tell Al Gore...
    Stay Safe,
    Mick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morning Jeff, As I watched this video, I thought of you, hee,hee... So proud of what you are doing and a bit jealous(grin)
    Copy and paste URL, it's a hoot ..
    http://dalesdesigns.net/rock-on.htm

    Mick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ηаving rеad thiѕ I
    thought іt was extremelу enlightening.

    I аpрrесiate yοu
    finding thе time and effοrt to рut this information tοgether.

    I once again finԁ myself spеndіng a ѕignificant amount
    of time both rеading аnd cоmmentіng.
    But sο what, it was ѕtill woгthωhile!


    Feel freе tо viѕіt my wеb sіtе .

    .. One Day car insurance

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi theгe to evеry bodу, іt's my first go to see of this webpage; this weblog carries amazing and in fact excellent stuff in support of visitors.

    Also visit my website :: www.ukinsurancewise.co.uk

    ReplyDelete