Saturday, December 4, 2010

Day 97 - They Leave The Bone in a Pork Chop Sandwich?




Saturday, December 4, 2010

so how do you eat it? More about that later. Last night was a good one, I must have slept 8-9 hours. Plus, having electricity beside the tent allowed me to stay inside and work on the computer. I was up at 6, used the campground facilities to clean up, and packed and ready to go by 7. My first stop was a nearby convenience store for breakfast and ice. Then got my bearings, and headed out. No specific destination today, just east toward Jackson. Google sez I can follow hwy 80 the whole way, I'm not so sure.

Leaving Vicksburg is a mess(if walking).....narrow road and very rolling terrain. Short rolls, the kind that doesn't allow traffic to see you until almost on you. I encountered the same type of thing when entering Parker, AZ, some time back. Plus, several of these "good old boys" in their pickup trucks like to see how close they can get without actually hitting me. If they can force me into the ditch, that's extra points for them. But, a rolling road, and a few nuts, aren't going to ruin my walk. After a few miles the road began to level off, and traffic thinned as I got farther from Vicksburg. I noticed something I haven't seen the entire trip........kudzu. If there was any doubt I'm back in the South, no more.

I came to a small community named Bovina, and not much there. Not having seen a Hwy 80 sign for a while, I stopped at a store to get my bearings. I was going the right way, so headed out. I crossed over the R. H. Henry Bridge, a historic bridge built in 1929 over the Big Black River. Shortly after I came to a sign that stated "End County maintenance". If the road I have been traveling was maintained, what will it be like now? Well, I owe the Louisiana Highway Dept an apology.......they do not have the worst road in the nation. Maybe 2nd, but I just found one worse. Several miles of hwy 80 were so torn up I was afraid it was going to break my cart. It finally improved, but what a mess for auto traffic.

I called my daughter-in-law, Michelle, to run a Google map and check about Hwy 80. Her Google showed 80 stopped at Edwards, and I needed to take MS 467. So, that's what I'll do, then catch up with 80 east of Jackson. Along the way I passed a grass airstrip used by crop dusting planes it appeared. The runway was as flat and smooth appearing as something paved. Before long I was entering Edwards, a small town along the route. That's where I saw the "fish man", and a crowd gathered around him buying his catch. I asked the name of the fish, and he told me, but I can't remember.....but it was fresh water. A big fish, with an unusual name.....maybe Mick will know. I watched for a while, and then headed out. I noticed a sigh for MS 467, so headed that way.

After a mile or so, came to a convenience store and decided to stop for lunch. Saw a tempting looking pork chop sandwich on display, and decided to have that. Went outside to sit down and eat it, and after a few bites bit into something hard.......they leave the bone. How can you eat a sandwich with a bone in it? What about all the extra bread that covers the bone.......throw it away? Guess I still have some things to learn about southern cuisine. I asked a nearby guy about MS-467 south, and he said I had passed it a while back! But, Hwy 80 was right in front of the store, running as a frontage road to I-20 all the way past Jackson. So by missing the turn, I ended up where I wanted to be in the first place.

The frontage road was wonderful.......gently rolling, almost no traffic, and I-20 as company. The early morning clouds had given way to a bright, sunny day, and warm on top of that. I am expecting cold sometime soon, but will deal with that later. Before long I was entering a small town named Bolton. Lots of good looking places to camp, so I asked around and found a spot west of town, but close by. I set the tent up in a patch of woods, put the gear inside, and was soon inside myself. There's just a slight hint of coolness in the air, so a nice evening to be outdoors.

About the pictures:
The fish man;
Presbyterian church in Edwards, MS (a beautiful church, but not a great picture)

4 comments:

  1. Hey Friend Jeff. Sounds like you are getting a good DOSE of Mississippi. I failed to tell you " their roads are worse than ours ", so sorry ! Even in a vehicle, they are like a roller coaster, especially I 220 bypass around Jackson, North .
    If you run across some of the Mississippi folks with a front tooth missing, maybe they tried the Pork Chop Sandwich too !!

    The commercial fishermen, in this part of the country, sell Catfish, Buffulo and Gar fish . If the fish you saw looked like a big old shiner and had scales on it, it would be a BUFFULO FISH. Most people think and call them Buffalo but Buffalo have Hooves and Hide on them. A fish is spelled differently " BUFFULO " with a " U " instead of an A . They also sell Gar fish, easily recognized with a long bill full of TEETH ! Of course, I know You know what a Catfish looks like. Smooth skin, no scales on it and ugly face. Love them Catfish !! More than likely, you watched him cutting up a Buffulo. There is a trick to dressing them since if one doesn't know how to cut it up, it will cook out so bony, it's hard to eat.
    I hadn't thought about them breaking up Hwy 80 but sounds very reasonable that they did as they built I 20 through Jackson. Hwy 80 is still the main street( Main Drag ) through all those little towns and communities, right on thru Meridian. I generally don't venture past Newton anymore but when I exit I 20 and go North, I still cross highway 80 there ! Just E. of Jackson is Pearl and that is Hwy 80 . Thank GOD, the sun still rises in the EAST,grin.

    Watch out for the Mississippi Rednecks, usually driving pickup trucks and might have a pork chop bone hanging from his teeth.

    Bless You,
    Mick

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't comment like I should, but wanted you to know that I am really enjoying reading about your trip. I look forward to your updates and have been praying for your safety. I am fascinated by how you dropped everything and took off on foot across America. This is something I would LOVE to do....maybe someday when the kids are grown!
    If you have any blog related questions while on your journey, I would be more than happy to help you. Just ask!
    http://sneakymommablogdesign.blogspot.com/
    Blessings to you on your journey! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guess this is a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway: In your blog you frequently mention buying ice at a c-store or wherever. What do you need so much ice for? I know it's not for preserving food, because you don't cook. Ice, like water, is heavy, so there must be a good reason for you to lug it around. Just curious.

    ReplyDelete