Saturday, December 18, 2010

Day 111 - Almost To Tuskegee







Saturday, December 18, 2010

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express for a while last evening, and then back to the tent. Things had dried out some, so that was good. I had a good location....right at intersection of I-85, Hwy 80, and Chantilly Parkway. Restaurants, convenience stores, and motels all around. I slept well, but woke up around 5am to the sound of rain on the tent. Not too hard, but steady. It stopped around 6, so I packed up the tent and other gear quickly, and headed to BK for breakfast. Weather report in the local newspaper is predicting rain this morning, clearing in afternoon, and nice weather for the next 4-5 days (Montgomery forecast) with temps in 50-60's for highs, high 30's for lows. I'll take that, especially with what's going on farther north. Around 715 I put on the rain gear and headed down hwy 80.

It started raining again, and cool. Hwy 80 runs right beside I-85 for several miles, almost like a frontage road. Traffic was light, so walking was good even with the rain. A Montgomery Sheriff's deputy pulled alongside and asked if I was ok. I gave him my card, we talked a while, and he went on his way. Soon 80 and I-85 separated, but still close enough to hear the traffic. Most of the morning was cool and raining. I stopped for a rest after several hours, and sat down on the front porch of a church. The choir was inside rehearsing their Christmas program, so that was nice to hear. I changed into a dry pair of socks, and headed out again. I passed a marker for Lucas Tavern, a very historical place. The original location was in Montgomery County, but the building was later moved to the city.

Around noon or so, the weather started clearing, and the sun peeked through the clouds. It was getting warmer, a nice day. I came to a small community named Shorter, and a guy came out to the road to talk. He introduced himself as Kevin Blake Hyde, drummer (but currently out of work). Kevin has a small, empty house, and said I could stay there tonight if I wanted. It was still early, and the weather had improved, so I decided to keep walking. We talked a while longer, and then I headed on. Where I walked today is mostly countryside.....open fields, woods, and farms. I soon came upon a group of people who appeared to be having a "tailgate" party in their yard. So I walked over to introduce myself, and see what was going on.

The people were members of a riding (horses) club called "Ruff Rydaz" from Shorter. They ride in parades, do trail rides, and various events. The cookout today was a gathering for their club and another, local club. I enjoyed talking to them about their club and my walk. I walked on for a while and a car pulled off the road near me. A woman got out, and introduced herself as Evangelist Eveyln Weaver. She was on her way home from a Christmas function, had some extra food, and offered me some. I accepted her offer, and came away with some great chicken and rolls. Evelyn is a minister in a church in Opelika, AL.

Hwy 80 changes from 2 lane to 4 about 12 miles from Tuskegee, so the walking is better. It was getting late and I started looking for a camp site. Finally found one near the highway, in a field close to a business. The tent is still a little wet from last night's rain, but maybe will dry some tonight. I put a tarp inside to protect from the dampness, and soon had the gear and myself inside also. It's supposed to be colder tonight, but so far, not too bad.

About the pictures:
Evangelist Evelyn Weaver
Members of Ruff Rydaz from Shorter, AL
Kevin Blake Hyde

A Christmas song for you.......

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh, yes, NKC, his songs are also some of my favorite. Keep dry and keep on walking, 'Walkingman'. You are almost home. What a marvelous trip you have had with so many generous people along the way.

    ReplyDelete