Thursday, December 9, 2010

Day 102 - Newton To West of Meridian




Thursday, December 9, 2010

Last night in Andy and Dottie's guest house was really nice....and warm. I stayed up late, organizing things, and getting ready for tomorrow. But I slept really well, and was up and ready for that breakfast Andy promised at 630. Andy and Dottie remind me so much of Larry and Dana Bowden in Twentynine Palms, CA. Both men are the cooks in the family, both women are artistic is some way, both families bought older homes and refurbished then, and both families have similar guest houses. And, finally, both families were very kind and accommodating to a walkingman passing through their area.

Breakfast was great, and the standard southern fare.....eggs, grits, toast, sausage, orange juice, jelly, etc. I enjoyed the meal and conversation, but too soon Dottie had to leave, and I had to get on the road. I thanked them, said our goodbyes, and headed out around 730. Today I want to get to the intersection of Hwy 80 and I-20, about 23 miles east of Newton, and about 6 miles west of Meridian. I was soon back on 80 and hadn't walked a mile when a car pulled up, a woman introduced herself as Shirley from Hickory, asked where I was going, handed me some money, and went on about her business.......never to be heard from again, I assumed. I did have time to give her one of my business cards.

It was a beautiful day, cool, but sunny. Before long it was warm enough to get out of the coat. I passed by a Mississippi Veterans Memorial Cemetery which is under construction. Not long after that I was in Hickory, MS......the first of several small towns I would pass through today. All are spaced about 8 miles apart, not sure if that is on purpose or just a coincidence. Hickory is the birthplace of Bob Johnson, founder of BET TV Network, and former owner of the Charlotte Bobcats basketball team. Not much in Hickory, but I did stop at a convenience store for a mid-morning snack. While there, a guy came in selling FL oranges, and I was able to sample a variety as he showed them to the store owner. This will help me resist getting scurvy from the long trip! But, it was time to get back on the road.

I walked about a mile, and a car pulled alongside, and a guy asked if I wanted something to eat. He pulled off the road, and introduced himself as Bobby Warren from Hickory. His daughter Shirley (Shirley from Hickory above) had called and told him I was on the way, and to get me something to eat. Bobby's wife had fixed a plate of: turkey, cabbage, field peas, sweet potato, and fruitcake for dessert. Well, I had just eaten a snack, plus a big breakfast, so I asked if it was ok to save for a later lunch. Bobby said that was fine, we talked a while, and then went our separate ways. Bobby is a pastor in the area, maybe just part time now. Shirley from Hickory is a nurse in Newton.

I passed a MS DOT crew out repairing the road, and talked to several of them about the trip. One offered me a sandwich and water, but I already had lots of food. It's interesting......there's water everywhere in LA and MS. I walked across most of CA, AZ, NM, and west Texas, and most every creek was dry, and here water is constant. If you cross a bridge, for sure there is water underneath. And along with the water comes ducks, blue heron, deer, and other wildlife. I always pause going over a bridge to see what's down there. Logging trucks are running pretty steadily today, heading east with their loads. One large log was in a ditch beside the road, guess it had come off a truck. Glad I wasn't there when it happened.

I came next to the town of Chunky. I needed to find a place to heat the meal, so saw a church (Baptist), and figured they would have a kitchen. The door was open, and a car outside, but I looked around and couldn't find anyone. But they did have a nice kitchen, and I started to go ahead and use the microwave, but decided not. I left there and went to a local convenience store to see if they had a microwave I could use. They did, and agreed to let me heat the meal, and I did. While there, Bob Douglas (State Farm, Newton) stopped by. He was in the area on business, and checked to make sure I was ok. He bought me a drink to go along with lunch, then left for an appointment in the area. The meal was wonderful, no fast food for me today! (Shirley: if you read this, tell your Mom and Dad thanks, and also send me an email with your address.)

The guy who ran the store was interesting.....he's Egyptian, lived most of his life in Michigan, and just recently moved to Chunky to run this store. I enjoyed talking to him. Also, one of the locals was in the store, and he told me most of the men in Chunky, at one time, worked for the railroad or were farmers. But not a lot left in Chunky now. I headed out and passed over several bayous (can MS have bayous, or just LA?) Anyhow, the water wasn't moving very fast....or at all. Alongside one was a big fish camp, Boyette's. Fish camps are familiar to most people in the South. I also passed through a small community named Meehan Jct.

I could hear I-20 getting closer and figured the intersection was near. A guy came riding up on a paint horse, and introduced himself as Ty Clark, and his horse Chief. Ty explained Chief wasn't very happy because he had just had an operation which rendered him less of a man horse. But Chief was a beautiful horse, and Ty seemed a nice guy. He told me I-20 intersection was just around the next bend, and then he went on his way. I walked about a mile more, and there was the intersection. I stopped at the truck stop, looked over the area, and decided on a place to put the tent. Then came back to the truck stop to do some computer stuff, and eat a little something.

It's supposed to be cold tonight, but that's part of the trip. Not all nights can be in a nice guest house. Will tell you how cold tomorrow. I have about 25 or so miles to Alabama, and might get there tomorrow depending on how the trip through Meridian goes.

About the pictures:
The top one is Ty Clark and Chief
The bottom one is actually from LA, somewhere along 80 near Delta.

3 comments:

  1. Jeff,
    It was a pleasure to have you as a guest in our home Wednesday night. You stirred a dormant desire for me to take another adventure. How about New Zealand? Start in the South island and walk or Bicycle to the North Island(That's only 1144 miles or 1842 KM). Hey, I got to make that happen. Be safe and keep pulling us along with you through you telling your story here on Walking Man 2011 Andy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff, I'm so very much enjoying reading of your travels! When you have this blog printed to book format (which I hope you will!!), I hope you will have extras printed so people like me can have one, too!! You are inspiring me to set out on adventures other than those I already have planned. I love reading about the people down here in the south, and of the wonderful southern food and hospitality you're enjoying along the way. You have a great way with words and of course I can just hear your accent as I read! I eagerly anticipate each day's stories!

    Keep walking!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pleasure to meet you, your smile made my day. May God bless you with traveling grace.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete