Friday, December 24, 2010

Day 117 - On Toward Macon






Friday, December 24, 2010
Last night was a strange one, to say the least. I hung around Subway for a while after publishing the latest post, and letting the computer and cell phone batteries charge. As I packed up and was leaving, a group of people stopped me and started asking questions about what I was doing. They introduced themselves as: Jay and Pam Andrews, and their son Colby; and Cary and Lisa Hays. They had seen my cart outside and curious about it. One of them, maybe Cary, commented it was probably a homeless man, so they looked around to see who might own the cart. They spotted me working on the computer and Lisa told the group: "that man's not homeless, he's wearing a North Face jacket and New Balance shoes!" Finally, after 2200 miles, somebody is paying attention! Lisa and Cary's daughter likes North face, so she was familiar with the brand.

We talked a while, and they asked lots of questions about the trip. Jay gave me a little money to help out along the way, and then asked about where I was staying for the night. I had planned to stay in an industrial park just outside town, and getting ready to walk there. Jay knew someone who owned a business near by, and suggested I stay there.....it was only a block away. Before we went our separate ways, Lisa showed me a picture of their children......they have 5 year old twins, a boy and a girl, and an older girl.......just like my daughter Julie. It was fun talking about them. Finally I headed out to find the camp site. Once I got there, wasn't especially fond of it because it was too light in the area, and too many people close by. But I went ahead and set up the tent and put the gear inside. Jay and his family stopped by to check on me, and then left. I got in the tent to read a while before going to sleep. It was a nice evening.....cool and clear, but not real cold.

As I was reading I could hear people come and go, and lights from cars were shining on the tent. I knew I could never go to sleep in this spot. So around 11 or so, got up, packed up everything (quickly), and started heading out of town toward the industrial park. A policeman spotted me, asked if I was moving, and suggested I put the tent behind the police station in a grassy area. That was great...close by and safe. So, he showed me how to get there, and within 20 minutes or so I was back in the tent, and not long after that, asleep. What a long and interesting day.

I slept really well after the long day, and it never was really cold. I was up and ready to go by 730, stopped and thanked the policeman for his help, and headed to Subway for breakfast. After that I stopped by the laundromat to wash a few things. I doubt I'll reach Macon today, but that's ok. I'll stay south of town tonight, and walk through town tomorrow. It was almost 11 before I was ready to leave Roberta, and since that's when the bar-b-que place opens, decided to stop there for a sandwich. Of course it was closed today for Christmas, so I'll just have to come back this way some time and try Duncan's. I stopped by the drugstore to ask directions, and headed toward Macon.

I've left Hwy 80 for now, and mostly on country roads...which is nicer walking. Traffic is light, and the road is winding and rolling. No shoulder, but none needed. I saw a UPS man and thought to myself that's one person who won't get off early today. I walked a little further and spotted a mail car. It pulled alongside me, and before I could hand the driver a card, I saw it was Cary Hays, from Subway last evening. He mentioned I was a little late leaving Roberta this morning, and surprised to see me on the road. We talked a while and Cary had to get on with delivering the mail. I have passed several "William Bartram Trail" markers over the past few days, so did a little research to see who he was. Very interesting, you should check out the link.

Speaking of signs, the road signs in GA seem to be taller than most states.....at least where I'm traveling. I passed a sign for a creek, and it must have been 8-9 feet in the air. Anybody ever noticed this or know why they are so high? Today was another great day weather wise......cool, but not cold, and clear. Every day that's nice is one less that can be not nice! I am still following the Google walking directions, and found at least one error today. A road changed names, and Google had another name. I stood on the corner maybe 15 or so minutes waiting for someone to come by so I could ask directions. Finally a woman with 2 small children stopped, and gave me the info I needed to proceed. While there weren't a lot of stores along the route today, there were enough to keep some food in the belly.

Later in the afternoon I passed a small community named Lizella. There were a couple of nice modern churches here, but that's about all I saw. I walked a while longer and a truck pulled along side me. A young man got out, introduced himself as Lance Stokes, and asked if I could use a dollar. Of course there's always something to buy on the road, so I said sure. Well Lance searched all his pockets, and discovered he didn't have a dollar.....maybe I should have given him one! Anyhow, it didn't matter....he was such a nice young man, a senior in high school. He asked if I knew about a country singer who walked across America. I did....Jimmy Wayne, who grew up in the Gaston County area. Not sure he walked the whole country, but did walk at least half or more.

Lance and I talked a good while.......he lives on a farm in the area, and plans to go to technical school upon graduation from high school. I thought Lance looks a lot like Dale Earnhardt, Jr. Talking to Lance was a nice part of the day. It was getting late in the day, so I started looking for a camp site. Found a convenience store several miles outside of Macon, with an empty lot behind it. I asked the manager if I could put the tent there, and he was fine with that. So, it was soon up and gear inside. The lot doesn't have lots of grass, so I hope it doesn't rain tonight.....it'll be a mess! The store manager also said I could use an outside outlet to charge my computer. But, not sure if I want to be out of the sleeping bag that long.

Google calculates I covered around 16 miles today.....not bad considering the late start. Tomorrow into and beyond Macon, toward Milledgeville. If all goes well, and the weather cooperates, I'll have visitors either Sunday or Monday......that'll be nice. I put a few cookies and a soda outside the tent just in case Santa comes through here tonight. If not, am sure one of the local critters will clean the plate. Gotta get to sleep now, because he won't come as long as I'm awake.

About the pictures:
Lance Stokes, student and Dale jr look-a-like;
William Bartram Marker;
In the laundromat in Roberta.

A Christmas song for you.........by one of my all time favorite singers.

6 comments:

  1. A Christmas song for You
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8Fo4j6usBs&feature=related

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas my friend. Safe travels....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas, Jeff! I hope Santa gives you fair weather for the rest of your adventure! That was awfully good of you to leave cookies for him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeff, I saw another good use for the armadillo on TV Thursday night. A gentlelman took the shell of the armadillo and made an instrument from it (like a banjo). It even still had the ears on it.

    Wanted to wish you a Merry Christmas. Hope it is not snowing on you today, but looks like it might.

    The Beaver family

    ReplyDelete
  5. Johnny Mathis is one of my favorites too. Alice Rudisill loves him too. "O Holy Night" was Grandma Rudisill's favorite Christmas hymn, and at the Rudisill Christmas reunions, it was always sung in her memory. Merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merry Christmas... safe travel.. For unto you is born a Savior..look to Him for light..

    Shirley from Hickory Ms.

    ReplyDelete