Saturday, December 11, 2010

Day 104 - Kenawee To West of Demopolis, AL










Saturday, December 11, 2010

Last night was a good one and unusually warm in the sleeping bag. The camp site was in a low spot, so I had to carry some stuff down hill to the site. I slept well, with the hum of traffic on I-20 nearby. I-20 and Hwy 80 go different way from this point on......80 continuing east, I-20 heading north. Traveling so close to the interstate has been beneficial because of the numerous truck stops and other facilities that an interstate highway attracts. I was awake before my wake up call, and had everything packed by 630. I took the cart to the top of the hill, and started carrying the other stuff up. I took up one load, put it on the cart, and went back for another. Started up the hill, and noticed the cart was missing. I had failed to set the brake, and the cart rolled about 50 yds down the interstate ramp, and stopped about a yard or so from tumbling down about a 15' bank! Sometimes we're good, other times lucky.......lesson learned.

With everything load, I headed to the truck stop for breakfast and also to charge the battery on the computer while I ate. There were several drivers there, and the conversations are always lively. They wanted to know about my trip, and offered lots of advice about the best routes to take. I respect what they say, but sometimes they don't think about the differences when walking. It was about 745 when I finally headed out to a new state. Within a mile or so, I was in Alabama, and Hwy 80 instantly improved. It was wider with a nice shoulder. It also seemed less "hemmed in" by the trees along the road......they seemed to be set back a little farther.

Within a few more miles, I was in Cuba, AL. Not much there along 80 except one convenience store. I stopped in, although not sure why because I really didn't need anything. Maybe I just wanted to find out about the area. The woman who ran the store said most people who live there work other places......such as Demopolis and Meridian. I walked a little further and 80 and Hwy 11 split. There are still lots of logging trucks on the road, most heading to paper mills in AL. Others are returning empty for another load. Hwy 80 in AL, from the intersection of Hwy 17 for 8 miles east, is being expanded to 4 lanes. Very nice road already, and will be even better when 4 lanes. I had calls from a couple of guys in Gastonia.....Jon Childs and Jack Bradshaw. Both follow the blog and just wanted to see where I was. Always good to hear from people, especially on days like today when there's not much to see.

It's a great day today, very warm, but a little overcast. Since there's nothing out here, I'm making good time. I saw a car parked in a drive ahead of me, and as I came closer, I recognized the occupants.......Dottie and Andy Armstrong, from Newton, MS. They had driven out to check on my progress, and it was a nice surprise to see them. We talked a while, and then went on our way. Things like this really give me a boost, and make the days much nicer. In several miles, the construction ended and 80 became 4 lane with a full, lane width, shoulder. And it was also relatively flat.......great walking.

I hadn't had lunch, and figured I wouldn't because there's nothing out here, and my on board stock is pretty depleted. But soon I spotted what appeared to be a gas station, and as I came close, it was.......the Bellamy One Stop Store and Deli. The place also had a table with an outlet near by, so I charged the computer while eating a burger. I hung around there a while, and headed out. Along the way I crossed the Sucarnoochee River. I wanted to reach the intersection of County Road 28 and 80 today, but it started sprinkling rain and I looked around for a spot near by. Found a nice one close to the road, and beside a creek, and just as I had the tent set up and stuff inside, it began to rain. Not hard, but steady. Hopefully I didn't leave the ground tarp hanging outside the bottom of the tent.

Tomorrow I plan to get as far as Demopolis, get a room, and watch a little football. Then Monday head out toward Selma.

About the pictures:
I've been through Quebec, LS, and now Cuba, AL.;
Entering a new state;
Why not a little business since I'm here and they sell Sundrops.

5 comments:

  1. Jeff, one more state behind you, one less ahead. Congratulations (again)! The Killebrew's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a note to tell you how much I look forward to the daily additions to your blog. I am from Fort Worth and have been following your travels since reading the story in our newspaper. I even went into your archives and started back at the beginning of the trip. As Roy and Dale would say, "Happy Trails."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your travels in MS (besides the sleep in the bus) were good ones. My family (niece Shirley-the nurse) and my sister (the cook from Hickory) and my brother-in-law are all keeping up with you. My sister does not have acomputer and I keep her up on your travels. I am sure today at church, you will be in the conservations. My brother-in-law, Bobby Warren pastors a small church out from Forest. Good luck and God keep you save in your walk. I hope it gets a bit warmer before you return to the walking. Cold in Forest, MS.

    Shirley (aunt of Shirley the nurse)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Morning Jeff, so glad you are inside today, watching football and getting recharged all over . I'm sure you will catch up on all the snow and ice falling to our North, poor Yankees. They are letting the cold temps fall on us and expecting lows around 20 degrees the next few nights, way down here. This wind may blow holes in a tent and afraid that sleeping bag will be taxed to it's limits.
    We pray for your safety !
    Mick

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stay safe and I am glad you have made it this far. GOOD LUCK, JEFF!

    ReplyDelete