Saturday, December 25, 2010

Merry Christmas From Macon, GA


Saturday, December 25, 2010



I thought a special post was in order for Christmas Day. I'm sitting in the Ramada Inn lobby as I write this........the nice woman at the front desk, Angela, allowed me to sit and charge the computer. It's cloudy here today, and some are predicting maybe a little snow. I hope Santa was good to everyone, and you have a great day with your families and friends. My family is coming down tomorrow to meet me in Milledgeville, GA, so that'll be my Christmas this year. There are too many stories to post on this blog, but one I remember from several weeks back comes to mind, and maybe it fits, this being the Christmas season......

I can't remember exactly where this happened, but must have been when I was near I-20, since it involves a truck stop. I came to the truck stop late in the day, and was going to use some of their facilities. Saw a USA Today newspaper rack, and wanted to get one to read while eating dinner. I didn't have 4 quarters for the machine, and the change I did have was pretty battered and bruised because most of it was picked up along the road. Also, I had one gold (colored) dollar coin, which I wanted to keep. So, counted out a dollars worth of change, and took to the cashier to get quarters. She gave me 3 quarters, but refused to give me the fourth because she said my change was so beat up. So, now I had 3 quarters and the dollar coin.

I told the woman I really wanted a paper, but she refused to budge and take the old money. She asked if I had any other money, and I told her about the dollar coin.....that I wanted to keep. She said they weren't rare, and I could get another one. So, reluctently, I gave her the coin and she gave me 4 quarters. I bought the paper, ate dinner, did some computer stuff, and packed up to leave. As I walked past the woman, she said, "mister, I know you really wanted to keep that dollar coin, so if you'll give me back those 3 quarters, you can have your coin back!" Well, I did, and walked out smiling with the gold dollar coin......and a nice feeling inside about what she did.

So, there must be a message in there somewhere about the woman caring enough about a stranger to bend her own rules to make him happy. And maybe, somehow, that ties into this season. I've been meaning to tell you about that for a while, but it seemed to fit best today.

About the picture:
Two followers of the blog since almost day 1 of the trip......Maggie and Caroline, Daughters of Kevin and Amy Cooley of Fort Mill, SC.

A Christmas song for you.......

4 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas, from William and Betty Eatmon (Highway 80, Demopolis). Hope that all is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas! I have been following your blog since my brother, Paul, met you.
    What an amazing journey. I just had to start from day one and read to current. I hope you continue to have a wonderful walk.

    Lisa P.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas!!!!! I know you will be so glad to see your family!!! I hope you enjoy the letters from the students. They continue to be so excited about your walk! I still have 1 more class that will be calling you in the New Year!! :)
    Alisa Gunter

    ReplyDelete
  4. JEFF,
    GREAT CHRISTMAS STORY-ENJOYED YOUR RECENT RADIO
    INTERVIEW-KNOW YOU WILL ENJOY SEEING SOME OF YOUR FAMILY TODAY-I HAVE REALLY ENJOYED YOUR CHRISTMAS SONGS ON THE BLOG!
    TOM H

    ReplyDelete