Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Day 122 - On Toward Augusta






Wednesday, December 29, 2010

I was up early in order to get things loaded in the car for the trip back toward Sparta. Ate breakfast in the motel dining area, and loaded up everything while the others had breakfast. The cart fit perfectly in the back of Julie's van, and by 8am we were pulling out of the motel drive, on the way to Sparta. Julie marked the spot I left off with the car's GPS system, and all too soon, we were back there. Took a few pictures, said our goodbyes, and around 845 we all headed east on Hwy 22, but me at a much slower speed. My goal today is to put some miles behind me on the way to Augusta. I printed 2 sets of directions at the motel......one for driving, the other for walking. I'll decide which to use by the time I get to Sparta......about 5-6 miles away.

As I neared Sparta, a local Sheriff's deputy pulled up and told me someone had reported a white male walking down the road. "So?", I thought, but didn't say anything. I told him what I was doing, we talked a while, and both went on our way. I soon was in Sparta, and stopped to ask about directions. Most people I talked to said just take Hwy 16, but the walking route was a few miles shorter and I really wanted to take it. As I was walking down the main street, a group of men were throwing something up into a pecan tree, trying to get the nuts to fall. One guy told me they'll sometimes back a truck into the tree to shake the nuts down. I stopped to get a few supplies at a convenience store, and headed out of town on hwy 16. I still had about 4 miles before having to decide which route to take.

I passed by a small community named Culverton, but didn't see anything there except more pecan trees. I soon came to Roy Smith Rd., the decision point. I turned onto Roy Smith, deciding to take the walking route. Saw a guy working in a grave yard, and stopped to ask him about the directions. He favored staying on 16, but told me what I needed to know to go the other way. I walked a little further, and the road became a dirt road for the next 5-6 miles. It was reasonably hard, and ok walking for a while. Two guys in a truck pulled up, and asked "was I lost"? I answered no, and they asked where I was going? I said Augusta, and they said, "you're lost". But actually I wasn't, they just thought I should be on hwy 16. They advised me to keep going until I came to a paved road, turn right, and it would take me to Warrenton.

There was some logging going on in the area, and the road was pretty soft at times. That, along with the recent rain and snow, made pushing the cart not so easy. After a couple of hours, I came to the paved road, turned right, and was on my way to Warrenton......about 12 or so miles away. I passed through a small community named Mayfield, and stopped at a store to rest and get something to eat. This country road was nice walking, reasonably level and little traffic. I passed a large hornet's nest near the road, and was glad it was not summertime. I also passed a sign for the Ogeechee River Mill, but the only road going to the mill was closed.

The weather today was great for walking......temp in the mid-50's, and clear. Even though I had a late start this morning, I still was able to get some miles covered, and am near Warrenton. I am going to try to get to Augusta by late Friday if possible, but will need to long days to do that. Around 530, I found a nice looking spot to camp, and decided to stop for the day. Actually, it was in a cemetery, but after I looked around, decided to camp beside the cemetery instead of in it. It was still not too cold, and before long I had the tent up, and the gear and me inside.

About the pictures:
Hay bale Santa;
Sign for Ogeechee River Mill;
The dirt road.

5 comments:

  1. Evening Jeff, Man, you are TUFF ! The shoulders on the dirt road look kinda soft. Hope you didn't meet any log trucks. Looks like Deer hunting woods. See any ??
    Take care and stay on the pavement.
    Happy New Year...
    Mick

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hay bale Santa is just waaaaay fun! So happy to watch your progress - I've been thinking about how you were faring on these frigid nights. Glad your family got to see you. It must've been hard when they left again.

    I'm still just soooo dazzled & inspired by your adventure! Yay, you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff,
    Dottie and I just returned from a week in Las Vegas. As We flew from Jackson to Houston then to Las Vegas I thought of all those miles you have walked this year. I really admire you! Reading your blog daily makes my day! I haven't seen pictures of your camp sites. (Maybe I've just missed them) Please post some pictures (inside and outside the tent) so we can get the real feel of a "day with Jeff". Jeff you had a National Geographic challange many years ago NOW I wonder how many people YOU will be their "National Geographic" challange. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

    Andy in Newton MS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Morning Jeff, Here is an old song from my child hood. I sometimes get my guitar and sing this, just for fun ! It was Jimmy Dean's 1st recording but maybe, he wrote this one for you ??
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpDcx6hO-Ug
    Have a great day, Mick

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a beautiful family. I am sooooo glad they got to spend some time with you. You will be home before you know it. I hope the weather is not bad and you can make good time.

    God Bless, The Beavers in MS

    ReplyDelete