Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Day 94 - Russell Sage WMA To Dunn, LA




Wednesday, December 1, 2010

It was really cold last night, but I've made a few changes in putting up the tent, and they seem to have helped. I bought a new tarp to put as a ground cloth to keep out moisture and that seemed to work. Also, the tent has a mesh area in the top, and I've started covering it with a towel and that seems to keep out some cold. By the time this trip has ended I might be a "real" camper. I woke up about midnight, and a pack of something was howling in the distance. Coyotes? Did they follow me from West Texas just to get the beef jerky? They never came close to the tent, but I believe that's what it was. Anyhow, I slept well and was ready to head out before 7am. No specific destination for today, just heading East.

Before I had walked a mile, spotted a wildlife officer and asked about coyotes in the area. He said they are here, but don't seem to bother humans.......even when they are in packs. That was a relief, so I went on my way. After a couple of miles, came to a community named Start. Yes Start. It has one store, a school, cotton gin, and not much else. I stopped in the store for breakfast, and inquired about the name. No one seemed to know its origin. Soon I headed out. Today is a beautiful day, cool, but sunny. And supposed to get warmer the rest of the week.

Hwy 80 is really showing itself around here......the worst stretch of highway I have encountered so far, and maybe one of the worst paved roads in the nation. There's a stretch that's concrete, and it's almost totally torn up. Cars on the road weave back and forth to avoid holes and broken pavement. A state road maintenance crew passed me in a dump truck, with repair material (tar) and shovels as if that is going to make a difference. Using some method of selection, they would occasionally fill a hole while passing by dozens of others. Like throwing a bucket of water on a forest fire. This kind of stuff is so noticeable because much of 80 is a nice road.

Soon I was entering Rayville. Before I could get into town, a car pulled ahead of me and stopped, and a woman got out, approached me, and introduced herself as Kristi Lawson. She handed me a bag that contained: donuts, candy, and 2 bottles of water. Now that's a woman who understands what a walkingman needs. Kristi had seen me earlier in Monroe, and wanted to do something to help. We talked for a while, and I asked about a place to use the computer. She said I could use where she works, gave me directions, and I headed there. After a walk of a couple blocks, came to "The Center for Children and Families", a non-profit organization that works with kids and families who are experiencing different types of problems.

Kristi showed me around, introduced me to her supervisor Kelly Wright and other employees, and I worked a while on the computer. It wasn't long until lunch time, and they were all going out to a local Mexican place, and invited me to go. It was a couple of blocks, so I packed up my stuff, and walked over there. We had a great lunch and lots of talking about my trip, and the things they do in their job. It's a tough job, and many times hard to not take home with you, but they seem enthusiastic about what they are able to accomplish. All of them are younger than me, and most probably younger than my children! It's always fun to get their perspective about things.

But, all to soon, they had to go back to work, and me get back to what I do. I thanked them for lunch, said our goodbyes, and headed east. I hadn't gone far before I saw someone sitting beside the road with a big cross leaning nearby. I approached the person, saw it was a woman, and introduced myself. She introduced herself as Morgan Strong, and is walking (and some riding) across America for (in her words): "Going into the world as a light, serving others as I reflect the love of Christ". Morgan is from Oklahoma, and has been on the road since mid-July. She averages about 5-7 miles per day, and will stay in one spot for a while if the opportunity presents itself. We walked a few miles together, then she stopped to rest and I moved on.

I walked on for several miles, when a pickup passed me with a big cross and a dog in the back, and Morgan in the front. She was offered a ride, so now ahead of me. I finally arrived in Dunn, and started looking for a camping site. Found a private home with a big side yard, and asked the owner for permission to camp there. She agreed, and I found a nice spot under some big pines, and put the tent up on a bed of pine needles. Morgan called me and said she was in Delhi, another 5 miles east on Hwy 80. She was looking for a place to camp there.

Soon everything was in the tent, including me. I worked on the computer for a while, read a while, had a snack, and then ready for sleep. Although Dunn is a small place, it really is loud. Lots of trains on the track about 100yds away, plus automobile traffic. But that stuff doesn't bother me much. It was a good day, and not as cold this evening.

About the pictures:
The first one is the people from the Center for Children and Families.
The 2nd one is Morgan Strong. Morgan has a blog, but I think you get to it through her Facebook: facebook.com/morganslongwalk

4 comments:

  1. (^^^) Hey Jeff im Jordan From Tryon Elementary well just checking on you


    From: your friend
    Jordan Jarrett

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry its sapost to be a shark

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey jeff hope you have a very safe trip your doing very good

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Luck! keep going! You are doing great!

    ReplyDelete